Sunday, March 9, 2008

Level playing field?

I love football.

The FA & World cup, Maradona's "Hand of God", 1966, Liverpool's amazing comeback at the Champions League final in 2005, Gazza's tears, the dreaded penalty shoot outs. It's a fine game and holds a lot of memories for me.

We have just played a game that has left me fuming. A massive team against a few. My small team, crippled by the rules, a very dodgy referee & officials and by circumstance. Constant penalisations and advantages given against us.

I'm not fuming because of the simulation, but rather I love football and I like to win. As did all of us playing. But this was staged. It was staged that one team would lose and everybody would be ok with it.

I guess that's the point: the rules work against the underdogs.

We did try. Our strategy changed from trying to score to not conceding and trying a "hit & hope" gameplan.

The worst was: David whispered in my ear that at one point I would have to turn against my team when he makes an announcement.

He made the announcement. My name is Judas. The beautiful game was not the winner in this case.

This simulation was there to reflect the macro economics of the developed vs the developing world with regards to trade... and I'm still fuming.

No comments: