Sunday, March 9, 2008

Scared

Not only have I had my name changed, but also my image: we have all been given new clothes and I have a bandage on my head. The ladies are not allowed to speak to men unless spoken to and have to cover their heads at all times.

The change starts.

After a briefing from David Begbie, our host, we were taken to a building. Upon approaching the casual stride was hurried as the urgency started. A lady was telling us to move fast as our time is short.

We are ushered into a room. A very dark room. The door opens and torch light comes through. Our jolly host is not so jolly. He's crying. Seeing a grown man cry sends shivers down me. We wait for his words expecting the simulation to kick in and tell us what to do next. He keeps crying. I'm guessing if everyone is feeling like me they're feeling awkward. The crying still goes on.

He tells us that our village is lost and we have to flee. We are shown a video and then BANG. Soldiers burst in. Darkness. Torch light and lots, lots of shouting. We're pushed on the ground and then taken across a minefield to a refugee camp.

After finding my family (there are 5 of us: one other man and three ladies) we have to make it through the camp: getting food, medical attention and education.

Sounds straight forward, but was confusing and anarchic. I had lost my wedding ring, my watch and had water thrown upon me.

I'm no longer feeling quite so comfortable but rather quite paranoid.

No comments: